Map of the Surgy forest (1789)
Surgy forest once depended on the Châtellenie of Clamecy, belonging to the Counts, then to the Dukes of Nevers since the XIe century. This former ducal forest is located on the Surgy municipality near the boundary of the department of Yonne. It is now a private forest.
The atlas indicates that the Surgy forest, containing 481 arpents and 82 perches (approximately 245 hectares), was divided in 7 cuts and grouped to the Mont-le-Duc forest, to the Druye wood and to the “Usages” of Ouagne and Cuncy “to form a single 22 cuts rotation, started in 1789”. Wood logged in those forests were intended for Paris consumption as firewood. It was assembled into timber rafts in Clamecy and carried out to Paris on the Yonne and Seine rivers.